Graphic Relics / rhode island

1911 James Street School Class Photo, East Providence, RI

A March 15th, 1911 Class Photo from the Upper Room Classes of the James Street School in East Providence, RI. The photo, with the mat it's mounted on measure 11 x 14 inches. The photo alone measures 6 x 8.25 inches.

As best as I can make out the names on the back of the photo, I've listed them below.

Harold Winchester  •  Frank Guvey  •  Paris Bump   •  Ernest DeEtte  •   Walter McDowell  •  Stewart Golden  •  Arthur Connette  •  William Gibson   •  Courtland Kent   •  Arthur Birgil  •   Elmer DuHammel  •  Stephen Greene   •  William Baker  •   Wilfred Fenniey  •  Ellis Spears   •   Ethel Hauxle   •  Susan Gray   •  Clematina Surette   •  Margaret O'Gar  •   May Housen  •  May Speiver  •  Amelia Silver   •  Arthur DuHammel  •  Margaret Taylor  •   Mabel Armstrong  •  Mary Guvey   •  Geneva Hicks   •   Clarence Husnander  •  Svea Anderrson  •  Louise Bump  •  Martha Coffee   •  Marion Greene  •  Louis Thresher  •  Frank Halliday  •   Frank Raker  •  Miss Atkinson   •  Fredora Spears  •   Raymond Gammon  •  Bertha Carron

I did some online research related to the "James Street School" and located the following accounts:

Excerpt from the 1885 Annual Report of the Rhode Island Board of Education.
Under the Category (School Houses)

EAST PROVIDENCE – Another New School-house – The James street school-house was finished soon after the closing of the last report, and was immediately occupied. The building has proved well adapted for school purposes, excelled by none in the town, and is a commodious house of two school-rooms, accommodating about one hundred pupils. The lower room is, however, inadequate to meet the requirements, there having been in that department ever since the opening of the building more than fifty-six seats would accommodate. – Committee.

Below is a 1924 Class Photo from The Arcadia Publishing "images of America" series for East Providence, RI. The Heritage Room Committee of East Providence claims the James Street School was built in 1882.

Unfortunately it appears the James Street School-House was torn down in 2003. The following excerpt was quoted from the July 15, 2003 East Providence City Council Meeting. I looked for the School on Google Maps and could not seem to locate it.

(By Mayor Grant, Councilman Miranda and Councilman Ramos)
Demolition of Tristam Burges School and James Street School

Mr. Miranda says the James Street School should come down first and says it should happen soon.

On motion of Councilman Harrington, seconded by Councilman Miranda, it is unanimously voted to refer the land use issue of the James Street School to the Planning Department.

Click here to view the photo in our store.

Read more →

The Former Narragansett Brewery, Cranston RI

The Narragansett Brewing Company was established in Cranston, Rhode Island by a group of German American descendants. They opened the brewery in 1890 with an initial investment of $150,000. The company was incorporated on April 8, 1891.

Click here to view a Narragansett Brewery restaurant menu from the 1930s on our products page.

The brewery originally produced lager and porter as well as artificial ice. By the 20th century, 25 tons of ice were being delivered to over 1,500 customers. 

Below is an early postcard from the Narragansett Brewing Company.

According to the Arcadia Publishing book; "Narragansett Brewing Company," written by Hazel Turley - this is one of the earliest known ads for the Narragansett Brewing Company. The ad dates from 1895 and is from the Ed and Greg Theberge collection.

The brewery experienced consistent growth throughout the early 20th century. A 1915 newspaper account reported that the Narragansett Brewing Company covered 42 acres, included 30 buildings, 50 wagons and motor trucks, an ice pond & ice house and 3 refrigerator cars. The brewery produced 28,000 barrels of beer in their first year of operation. By 1915 the company was brewing 225,000 barrels.

The brewery survived prohibition and the "Great Depression" by manufacturing and distributing ice, small amounts of beer prescribed by doctors, soda and a malt based product called "near beer."

Shortly before the repeal of Prohibition in 1933, the Rudolph F. Haffenreffer family from Fall River, Massachusetts, purchased Narragansett Brewing Company and quickly revived the brewery. The Haffenreffer family was involved in the brewing industry for generations both in Boston and in Germany. They established the Boylston Lager Beer Company, which later became Haffenreffer and Company and the Old Colony Brewing Company in Fall River, Massachusetts. Rudolph Haffenreffer Jr. acquired Narragansett Brewing Company in 1931 and served as president until 1954. Many of the brewery's former workers, let go during Prohibition were re-hired. Narragansett was reportedly the first brewery in the nation to produce and deliver beer after the repeal of Prohibition.

According to, Narragansett Brewery was the first brewery in New England to offer beer in cans. The Providence Journal photographed a section of the plant's modern canning equipment in 1958.


1950s billboard in Scollay Square, Boston, MA -  from the MIT libraries.

In 1959, Narragansett celebrated brewing one million barrels of beer. By 1965 when the brewery was purchased by Falstaff Brewing, the company employed 850 workers.

Narragansett's demise began in the 1960s. The brewing plant was by then outdated and in 1970 another "Giant," Anheuser-Busch opened a state-of-the-art plant in Merrimack, NH. In the early 1970s the State of Rhode Island offered to help finance a new plant. News reports at the time reported that "company officials did not respond in a positive way." Modernizing the old plant was it's only hope for survival. The company explored multiple avenues to update the plant but struggled to remain profitable in a market increasingly dominated by large, national brewing companies. From an estimated 65.5% of the region's beer sales in 1963, Narragansett fell to about 17% by 1980.

Narragansett's beer production shifted to the Falstaff plant at Fort Wayne, Indiana, in February 1982. The original Narragansett brewing facility in Cranston remained abandoned for over a decade and finally demolished in 1998. The brewery's Trolley Barn, located across the street was spared for redevelopment but eventually succumbed to the wrecking ball in 2005. 

Below are a couple of photos of the abandoned Narragansett Plant before it was demolished.

After changing hands several times, the Narragansett brand was purchased in 2005 by a group of local Rhode Island investors led by former juice executive Mark D. Hellendrung, who announced plans to expand its market share and reinvigorate the Narragansett brand identity. The revived Narragansett Beer is now contract brewed by Genesse Brewing Company and has been distributed throughout Southern New England since 2006. Reportedly, the new owners are looking into establishing a brewery in Rhode Island. We wish them luck and look forward to Narragansett Beer being one again produced in the Ocean State. 

Condition: Good condition with some wear and discoloration. Some of the menu prices are smudged. (see pics)

Shipping within the continental United States is FREE. If you have questions related to international shipping please contact us before you place an order.

Don't hesitate to contact us with specific questions.

DVDs with high resolution image scans:
Most Brochures come with a DVD containing High Resolution scans of every page. The scans are of sufficient quality & size to utilize for large printed posters. (400 - 600 dpi at original size) Please see our "Policies & Information" page for an example of scan size.

We offer CDs / DVDs with high resolution scans of most items on our website. If you'd like to purchase a disc with image scans without the actual brochure or item select "Purchase DVD only" from the selection box at top of page or click here. If you want to purchase a DVD with copies of multiple items click here and select number of items to include in "selection box."

Read more →